You can set up new users and administrators, set up security groups and manage permissions using the User manager.
System - User Manager
- Go to System.
- Select User Manager.
What is user management?
The principle behind the user management is simple:
- Administrators are able to view and manipulate all schedules
- Users can only see and manipulate schedules they have created.
- Create Group policies to determine what user can/cannot access in PBRS.
How to set up a user
- Click Add User.
- First Name: Enter the user's first name.
- Last Name: Enter the user's last name.
- User ID: Enter a suitable username for the user.
- Password: Create here the password for the user.
- Verify Password: verify the user’s password.
- Security Role: Select a security role.
- Apply: Click Apply to create the new user.
- Automatically logon with this user: When this option is checked, PBRS will always logon using this user's credentials. When PBRS starts, the splash screen will show this user and the system will automatically log in after 10 seconds. You can interrupt the automatic logon process by typing in a different username and password and manually log on as a different user.
- Select the schedule or folder from the left hand pane and assign it to this user by clicking the green button.
Amending a user's details
- Click on the user.
- Select Edit User.
- Overwrite the existing details with the new details.
- Click OK.
You can also double-click on the user.
Deleting a user
- Click on the user.
- Click Delete User
- Click Yes.
PBRS comes with the Administrator and User security roles. Roles help you to easily manage which functionality is available to people who will be using PBRS.
You can create new roles by creating groups.
- Click Add to create a new group.
Creating a New User Group
By placing users into different groups, you can determine what they can and cannot access in PBRS. Restrict access to certain functionality, activation/deactivation and even assign blackout times.
In the Permissions Tab, you can then specify access to system features such as operational hours, or the options menu. Check the boxes to indicate whether the group has access to these features.
You can also restrict what destinations the group has access to.
- Allow all destinations: This group can access all destinations.
- Only allow certain destination types: Check the boxes to indicate which destinations the group has access to.
- Only allow assigned default destinations: Use only default destinations (created in the Options menu) and assign them to a specified group as shown below. See: Default Destinations
Pre-create destinations in this manner and assign these destinations to the specific group. Perfect for avoiding giving out sensitive logon information such as FTP or SharePoint site info.
Set Blackout Times to prevent users from scheduling reports during a certain time frame. Use Operational Hours to build time frames.
- Allow all Custom Tasks: All users in this group can use custom tasks.
- Allow Certain Custom Tasks: Specify which task types this group has access to.
- Allow the Group to have access to the folders.
- After you finish click OK.
Enable Windows Integrated Authentication
You will now be able to assign new and existing users to the newly defined security role as below.
To enable Windows Authentication check the box in the lower left hand corner of the User Manager.
Windows Authentication allows you to use Windows Authentication to log in to PBRS. This can help save time in creating new users for PBRS. Security roles created in PBRS can also be applied to users under Windows authentication.
- Add Active Directory users as PBRS users.
- Domain Name: Enter the domain name.
- Group Name: You can select from the drop down list the group where the user(s) are located.
- Add the entire group: All users in the user group will be added to PBRS.
Users added in this manner WILL NOT be displayed as individual users in the Users list in the User Manager.
- Security Role: Assign a PBRS specific group to the user. The user will then take on the permissions allotted in the user group. User Groups can be created in the Groups Tab.
- Assigned Schedules: Assign schedules to the added user/group. Learn more about assigning schedules near the top of this topic.